- Highest bridge to human heart transplant rate of any approved heart device, 79%
- Over 1,350 implants account for nearly 400 patient years on the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart
Companion 2 Hospital Driver
European CE Mark: July 25, 2011
U.S. FDA Approval: July 5, 2012
Download the Companion 2 Fact Sheet
The state-of-the-art Companion 2 (C2) hospital driver supports patients from implant of the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart until their condition becomes stable and they can be switched to the Freedom® portable driver.
Features & Benefits
The C2 driver provides pneumatic pressure for the Total Artificial Heart using one of two air sources. The primary source is hospital air, which provides quieter operation. The secondary source is two internal, redundant compressors to provide increased patient safety and reliability. The C2 also supplies independent vacuum for the left and right ventricles to provide optimum performance for each patient based on their individual needs.
Companion Hospital Cart
For the operating room and initial stages of patient recovery, the C2 driver is docked in the Companion Hospital Cart, which features sturdy support handles and locking casters to provide robust, reliable support.
Once the patient is out of bed and ambulatory, the C2 driver can be docked in the Companion Caddy to provide the patient with greater mobility in the hospital. The Caddy supports patient recovery by making it easier for patients to move and exercise, which helps them to rebuild their strength and improve their health.
User-Friendly Touch Screen
The C2 user interface features a full-color touch screen. This screen displays alarm and power status, and on-screen adjustable parameters including pressure, flow and cardiac output.
Three Operating Modes:
- Operating Room (OR) Mode – a password is required to enter OR Mode, which provides full menu access, including system check and muted alarms.
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Mode – a password is required to enter ICU Mode from Ambulatory Mode, and requires double confirmation for any changes.
- Ambulatory Mode – no changes are permitted, and graph and settings data can be minimized.
Service by Replacement
SynCardia designed, manufactures and services the C2 driver. No on-site repair service or inventory of parts is required by the hospital. Drivers are delivered and returned via express delivery service.
Front and back views of the
Companion 2 driver docked
in the Hospital Cart.
The Companion 2 driver docked
in the Caddy for greater patient
mobility within the hospital.
The Companion 2 driver has
three operating modes: OR, ICU
and Ambulatory. The screen above
shows ICU mode.
NEXT ›› Freedom® portable driver